Friday, March 16, 2012

Back to the Beginning: Brain Fatigue (posted Aug. 29, 2008)

I've been quite groggy and tired, so much so I slept most of the day.

Fortunately I have a four-legged wagging tail alarm clock that wakes me each morning to let her out and feed her. She is very patient with me on the mornings like today where I don't feel very good. She has Cancer, part of her health care regime in the mornings she gets a raw food diet with supplements to support her immune system.

On days like today, I got up to take care of her and went straight back to bed. She is another reason I fear losing my home, if I lose my house, I lose her too. The last thing I wish to do is anything that would stress her. She has been such a good friend, and she was with me when rear-ended on the freeway. We've been through a lot. I'm not sure if I see my animals as friends or family, at any rate, they have my heart!

I think I'm starting to get my body temperature back in line. It's taken a while. To see my bed, you'd guess it's the middle of a harsh winter. I have an electric blanket with covers and then a down comforter doubled over. Just my brain's way of telling me it needs rest.

Trying to rest these days is tough especially when I feel dangerously close to losing my home. I need to be making phone calls, doing whatever I can, and today, I was unable to get out of bed.

Brain fatigue is like nothing else. I find it staggering, this many years post-injury such fatigue still exists, I can either eat or sleep. I tend to choose the latter, like today, not eating until after 5pm. All I can describe it is like when you're sick and too weak to get out of bed even to eat.

I read in a good brain injury book that your brain will ask you nicely to rest once...then it will make you! Today it made me.

No comments: