Thursday, March 15, 2012

Back to the Beginning: TBI Support Group (posted Aug. 27, 2008)

Well, I got to attend Brain Injury Support group tonight and it was good to see some folks I haven't seen for a while as well as be able to encourage newcomers and talk with dear friends. Some of us stayed long after and chatted which was good as a newcomer got lost and found us after the group had ended. The Occupational Therapist gave him information for our next meeting, told him not to worry, we understand.

We had a speaker tonight with some information on the Ticket to Work program, some of it was interesting, and some, well, confused me. I process things slower, so it would need time to sink in. The speaker did talk with me afterwards saying an attorney should be able to get me my benefits. I tried to explain this between a rock and a hard place that I'm at and heck, it even confuses me! Fortunately many other people in this world have been at this place, so I'm not the only one and she may have some words of advice, she suggested I give her a call.

A dear man who volunteers with a service organization heard of my struggles, asked a few questions and then shared his group may be able to help me in a small way. I told him I'm grateful for everything and anything and am very frugal so any goods will be stretched as far as they can go. It was nice to hear some good news from someone who understands and who knows I'm not the type of person to take advantage. I just want to get to a place where I can give and serve again. I miss that SO much, I can't even begin to describe.

When I tell people at group I can either have a job and a house or I can have a life, they completely get it. When I say my health is suffering under this continuous, ongoing strain, they get it. They don't criticize, they don't question or advise, they completely get it. When I share about these crazy systems we have to go through to get help and feel so beaten down, they get it. It's not like any one of us have volunteered to become disabled. It is unfortunate our systems are set up in such a dehumanizing and demoralizing fashion, these systems that we pay into. Wow. Now there's a life lesson.

I'm grateful I got to go to group tonight, it's only once a month, but it's pretty much the only social outing I have. They dim the lights, it's a quiet room, all the things we TBIers need.

Blessings on y'all who are reading this.

No comments: