Thursday, June 21, 2012

Dad and Assisted Living

Having just called our referral agent on Monday with more details of Dad’s finances, she hit the ground running and by that afternoon she had two assisted living communities for my Step-Mom and brother to look at on Tuesday.

They really liked one of the two feeling it was a good fit for my Dad, my brother said he’d like to show it to Dad.  Yesterday Dad went willingly and liked it from the moment they drove in.  They looked around, viewed a studio apartment and ones a little larger than a studio.  He said he only needed a studio; he liked it so much there he put down a deposit on a studio apartment!  He even wrote his own check.  The apartment he had looked at already had a deposit on it but was canceled yesterday.

As of yesterday Dad has two weeks left at rehab, so I am grateful he has a place to look forward to.

But, I’m still having difficulty accepting my Step-Mom would not allow him back in the house unless he could take care of himself.  She adamantly refused having in-home care.  She told me on the phone last night she’d said to her granddaughter that she felt she was burying him and how difficult a decision this is for her.  I did not know what to say.

Having time to digest and sleep on that unsettling conversation, my first thought this morning was my Dad would NEVER do the same thing to her.  He would adapt and do what was best for her. 

No comments: