Thursday, June 21, 2012


I didn’t really think it was a big deal when I woke up yesterday feeling as though my hip was out of joint. I’ve felt that before, stretched and was able to relieve it and go about my day. Not this time. I was already in bed due to a HUGE case of acid indigestion, thinking I was going to vomit although I had nothing for breakfast. Whoo hoo, what a way to start the day!

At any rate, as the day wore on the pain increased. I slept for hours on end and that completely surprised me, I thought it all well and good, take a day off from family stuff. No big deal.

By evening I started to think maybe this is more than a minor inconvenience. The fact I hadn’t felt better by then had me a little concerned, I still thought it could correct itself…until I went to answer the phone. I was moving pretty slow at that point but when I tried to hurry my shuffling feet my hip gave out and I would have fallen had I not caught the counter.

I heard something snap or crack and felt an immense amount of pain enough to make me want to cry. Richard came over and asked me where I wanted to go and I couldn’t go anywhere. I got really scared and the barrage of questions like “What did I do to myself?” rolled in. As if I could have prevented it! The self-berating talk was cut short, I needed to move somewhere. We tried to walk me over to the kitchen chair but I couldn’t do it. Instead, Richard brought the kitchen chair to me and there I sat wondering ‘Now what?! Here I sit in the middle of the kitchen…’

In a few minutes Richard brought me the rolling desk chair from the office, moved carpets and I was able to roll the chair on the hardwood floor by furniture surfing. Yippee, movement!

Last night I decided to look online for symptoms of a dislocated hip. What I was experiencing was pretty doggone close to what the Mayo Clinic stated. Wow. I need to see the doctor first thing in the morning, so I did. I could barely walk in the door, holy cow!

I told the staff I felt I’d dislocated my hip, they poked me, tried to get me to move certain ways (ouch!) took x-rays (which showed no break), gave me a prescription for pain meds and referred me to Orthopedic docs in the ‘big city’ 60+ miles away. Since my pain was that debilitating the Ortho docs were able to fit me in if we came in after 1:00 pm.

Long story short, this doctor told me it is impossible to dislocate your hip, it might feel like you have, but it’s too solid a joint to come apart. Hmmm…of course I didn’t remember what I’d read on the Mayo Clinic’s website. More poking and prodding and oh my gosh how painful it was to lie on the uninjured side. Wow! He asked me to press my injured left leg back toward his hand on the back of my calf. I couldn’t do it. That frightened me!

We decided since he thought it was a pulled ligament that if we numb the area then we can see if that resolves the problem. If so, he’d shoot steroids in there and I could walk away pain free. Oh yeah! No pain, I almost did a happy dance! It didn’t work. I took a few steps delighted I was out of some pain, but couldn’t get my left leg to function. It did that sort of collapse thing it did last night. Drats. I really do hate the time they leave you in the exam room to think about things and get scared. What in the world did I do to myself? Would this mean surgery? What would this mean long-term. I’m only 45!

He returned hoping the numbing worked and suggested a steroid shot but I’d had enough of the needles. I can’t tell you how terribly painful that was and I felt sick right away. He told the nurse to make sure I stayed lying down; she offered me water and put a cool cloth on my forehead. I was thinking I never hurt like this even after the accidents. The doctor mentioned on his way out it’s not uncommon for people to PASS OUT! He said if people stay lying down it’s virtually impossible to pass out. Thank God he was right on that one. I think passing out or having been sedated would have made it bearable.

I opted for an anti-inflammatory steroid prescription, part of my hip may be numb but there’s no way I’m going to visit that hell again anytime soon! Oh my gosh they have to go deep into the hip. Bleck! He said we could do an emergency MRI but he feels its calcification of the bones or a pulled tendon. So, I’ll take the meds for five days and call the office to let them know how I’m doing. If I’m not better hopefully then an MRI might show something like a fracture. We’ll see.

Richard felt bad I kept looking at him for help with questions the doctor asked me. I wasn’t able to tell him then but all the information really was coming too fast. He said he understood I didn’t mean to put him on the spot; I just had trouble with decision making and processing.

This is a part of medicine I really do hate. Was the doctor’s ego getting in the way of a complete and thorough diagnosis because he thought he was right? I heard the nurse discussing my case with him and he said he may be barking up the wrong tree but wanted to see if this worked, which it didn’t.

So there we have it, sports fans, an entire day for two doctor appointments and travel. Wow! I have crutches in the meantime which have been very, very helpful already. The doctor gave them to me this morning and wow, what a difference. As long as I use them the feelings of spasms/seizing up are at bay. More shall be revealed. :)


Riversurfer said...

My goodness, what a story! Poor you having to go through this ordeal and the horrible pain... I hope it gets better soon!

ResilientHeart said...

Bless your heart, thank you kindly Riversurfer!

Today is my first attempt at a 'normal' day. I've been not only house-bound but bed-ridden in hopes of healing faster.

Life and all its surprises...we'll see how it goes!! :)