Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tools: Homemade Signs

I thought I would go back to focusing on tools that have helped me with my TBI.  I know these aren't necessarily TBI-only solutions either, so enjoy.  :) 

Brain fatigue is a common problem for many TBIers post-injury, myself included.  As a part of education process at rehab they spoke of "The Brain Budget Analogy".  With this concept we are given an allotment of, say, $20 or 20 brain energy units, for example.  Our job then, is to budget these resources carefully throughout any given day because they're all we get!  Pre-injury we were in the hundreds if not thousands of brain bucks or energy!

In our home one of the ongoing issues was neither of us knew whether our indoor/outdoor kitty was inside or outside, we could not remember no matter how hard we tried!  So, we created a sign! 

The door is metal so we placed a magnet in the middle and sealed it with clear mailing tape, on one side is "In" and the other "Out", and, it can be flipped over with just one hand.  It really is a simple concept and helps A LOT because of that precious brain budget.

In time I created a second sign for my elder kitty, Tux, who likes to go outside but doesn't stay out long.  Having that sign helps when I forget she's out there, I hate that!!  She's always been a bit skittish so I want her to be able to come back in quickly when she becomes afraid.

The "Out" sides of the signs are both green to hopefully remind us that green means go!  :) 

No comments: