Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year Everyone!!


Last Post for 2012

I’ve been hoping to post before now but fatigue recovery (and perpetual brain fog) has dominated my life for now, and, a trip to the doctor on Saturday for chest pains (no worries, it was an esophageal spasm) set me back a bit.  So, I write with a head full of fog before too much more time passes. 
 
That’s just the goofy thing about TBI, something we’re not exactly even close to being at our best but still have to get things done all the same.  Please pardon the fog…

Looking back at 2012

I think of Dad moving from his home to rehab center to assisted living, and my becoming Power of Attorney, taking over his finances.  It’s pretty overwhelming to say the least.  To step back in to family issues is quite odd.  Sometimes distance can be a good thing.  :)  This is one of those big life lessons, whether we feel we’re ready to step up to it or not isn’t an option.  Apparently we are ready or at least seem ready, or we wouldn’t be chosen.  :)

I think of having to wear glasses now, yes, I turned 45 this year and my eyes are showing their age too. 

This has been a year of unrest when it comes to my own personal religion, faith, and beliefs.  It is almost laughable the conversation and questions inside my head.  I’m no longer able to follow any faith blindly.  I’d imagine this is a good thing, although it is strangely uncomfortable not being so certain or sure of what I used to believe or what we hear about today.  I’m searching for timeless universal truths. 

I think about gratitude, for what remains.  Yes, I still live as a shut-in and activities are strategically planned so I can participate as much as possible without harming myself.  But the Internet continues to be a lifeline to the world outside of these walls and I am ever grateful for that.  I am thankful for each and everyone one of you.  :)  Yes, you!


Looking toward 2013

I’ve never been one for New Year’s resolutions since I believe change is a daily choice, here are some things I’m looking forward to/have in mind for this coming year:

To continue to give/receive encouragement, strength, comfort, and humor as I’ve received, and try to help myself have more fun as TBI can be both strenuous and serious. 

Dad will turn 90!  Remarkable!

Assistive Technology – I currently own a TracFone since I do not talk on the phone much at all these days, but I’ve been wanting a device similar to a smartphone to help me be better organized, track things better, and simply manage life a bit better.  I’m saving up for an mp3 player that will have capacity for those lovely little apps we all hear about.  This way, I get the benefit of the apps without a contract I could not afford or would use to its full capacity since I don’t talk on the phone much.  (TracFone out here has no smartphones in our area as of yet.)

I look forward to being more organized and continue to declutter.

With our economy being what it is, and my medical costing more, this will be a far frugal year for sure.  The good thing about being a human animal, what we cannot change we can adapt to.  :)

I am wishing you and your loved ones a beautiful, enjoyable, content, and hopefully humor-able year.  We’re all in this together.  Thank you for being here, for making a world of difference in my life.

Blessings, Love & Peace,
RH

1 comment:

Estey Bomberger said...

Hi Montana / Resilientheart,

I've really enjoyed reading your blog and must thank you for allowing people to understand how your injury has affected your work, relationships, daily life etc. Its very eye opening and touching.

I'm in a bit of the same situation with my family, and its definitely a bit overwhelming to go from the child to the parent role. Best of luck to you and your family!

By the way, I noticed your injury was obtained while you were in a rear-end car accident. Out of curiosity did you ever choose to file a lawsuit against the driver's insurance company at the time?