Thursday, January 31, 2013

Why I HATE Talking on the Phone!

I just got off the phone inquiring about feed prices, a HUGE stress because my brain processes things like an old 386 computer!  It's a far stretch for me to look back when I used to answer phones and made calls for a living, when it took little or no effort...

So my question I'm putting out to the world is: Can I, in the lowest possible percentile for processing speed, do anything to increase it?  Any rehab experts out there, or other TBIers in my shoes? 

I'd sure love to get better at this because at the rate I'm going, I suck at it!  LOL!  No really, I do!  I may be able to ask the question, but unable to process the answer. It's another reason I don't do online chat, it goes too fast for me to keep up. 

Or, as was the unfortunate case this morning, I had a call supposedly from my health insurer, they asked for my address and then hung up or disconnected, but there was no call back.  Uh, yeah, I don't think it was a real call either, they called at 8:15 this morning which is unusual, all of it is unsettling to say the least.

So I just called my health insurance and made a complete fool out of myself because I could not remember my mailing address, OMG, to confirm my identity!  My brain remembered part of my mailing address from three years ago and got stuck in a "I don't know" loop.  This is why I hate talking on the phone, I invariably make a fool out of myself and can't seem to make my brain to behave!!  [Heavy sigh].

OMG, Calgon, take me away!  And this was after I went through the self-talk of "I hate talking on the phone" to making myself believe "I love talking on the phone."

Not only do I feel like the Alpha Dork, I think I just proved it beyond the shadow of a doubt...again...

4 comments:

On The Way said...

I really hate talking on the phone too. Why on earth I thought having a job in a call centre last year was a good idea :p or volunteering on the reception desk (answering phones) for a mental health organisation...maybe I thought I'd get used to it, nope.
Have now decided that there are those of us who use the phone and those of us who don't. Most of the time it's okay but sometimes, when it comes to needing to process information/figure out what on earth the person on the other end wants from us, it is a little tricky.
Maybe with practice we can get better? I always have to write down everything I am going to need to say or might need when calling someone/companies. If they call me, I ask to call them back at another time when I have all the info I need.
You're doing great lovely!
Hugs xxx

ResilientHeart said...

Awwww! Thanks so much for your comment, that's so nice of you to stop by.

I have wondered too, about the whole talking on the phone thing and maybe we can get better (that would be my preference) since I don't know if it's possible to avoid telephone calls for the rest of my life. :)

I'm also more inclined to believe the 'use it or lose' mentality so maybe small steps will add up to bigger ones? I don't know.

I like your strategies of writing everything down and even asking the person/company if you can call them back - that is brilliant!

Thanks again! Hugs & cheers, my dear blog friend. :)

m.k. said...

Yes! There is something you can do about it. I'm seven years post-TBI (severe), processing speed remains a big problem, but I gave myself a jump start by playing Left 4 Dead 2. No joke. It's not excruciatingly boring or condescending like Posit Science or other fix-your-brain computer programs--it's just fun. You shoot zombies. You do well by reacting quickly, and not just reacting, but deciding: is that thing moving on the horizon my teammate or a zombie? Should I shoot this zombie first or hit these others with my axe? Within a month of learning L4D2, my driving improved so much my husband stopped freaking out every time he was in the passenger seat. My decision-making speed improved. Even my auditory processing got noticeably better. I'm still a pretty crappy player, but I got a lot better at life.

The last computer game I played with any regularity before L4D2 was Oregon Trail back when you had to switch out the huge floppy disks in the middle of the game. So you can learn it, even if you didn't grow up a gamer. My husband got me into it to see if would help with my visual processing speed, and it ended up helping with EVERYTHING. You do need a computer fast enough to push the graphics, but it's worth the investment, and a gaming headset, but those can be fairly inexpensive now. I think any first person shooter game might work similarly, but L4D2 has the advantages of lots of constant action (zombies are everywhere!) and having you play in teams, so you're not always in hypercompetitive mode and other players may actually be helpful instead of snide.

Best,
m.k.
http://myplasticbrain.blogspot.com/

ResilientHeart said...

Thanks, m.k., for stopping by and sharing your experience. I've often wondered about video games for TBI because the Nintendo Wii was said to help TBIers and older folks too.

I'll have to look into this, I'm never quite sure if the visual activity would be too much to take, but maybe I can try in bits and pieces and rest in between.

Welcome to blogging land! I checked out your blog and look forward to hearing more from you.

Congratulations on your pregnancy, how exciting!! :)